What Is Lagenlook?
At Kit and Kaboodal, we’re all about Lagenlook! Take a look at our Lagenlook Clothing to find your next wardrobe essential.
In this blog, we’re going to explore some of the common Lagenlook questions and pick some of our favourite Kit and Kaboodal pieces to help you get the look!
So, what is Lagenlook?
Literally translated to mean ‘layering look’, this European clothing style is designed to suit everyone and is ideal for those looking to put their own stamp on their fashion choice. Lagenlook is all about layering multiple pieces of clothing to create an individual look that reflects your personal style. Lagenlook is centred on the ideal of expression; pairing clothes and statement accessories to create unique looks that work perfectly for all body types.
The term ‘Lagenlook’ originated in Germany but the passion for exploring quirky, unusual shapes in clothing spans many European countries. Designers such as Yohji Yamamoto, Marina Avraam and Rick Owens have all championed the Lagenlook style, creating unique pieces designed to be layered.
The biggest misconception about Lagenlook is that it’s designed to hide the figure. Instead, we think it’s designed to celebrate ALL figures – using your unique silhouette as a canvas to blend colours, texture and fabrics in a way that’s uniquely yours!
Your Lagenlook clothing checklist
- Asymmetrical tops and tunics
- Long hitched or drawstring skirts
- Lace detail tops or dresses for layering
- Clothing with built-in layers or combined fabrics
- Statement scarves
- Oversized accessories
- Waterfall jackets or cardigans
How to wear Lagenlook
- First, we like to start with our leggings to create the perfect base for our Lagenlook. Opting for classic black, navy or a lighter grey are all great options as they are easy-to-style shades that pair well with other colour palettes.
- Next up, create an easy layered look with a top, tunic or dress! We love our Made in Italy Zouch Premium Washed Linen Dress. This lightweight linen fabric has a beautiful full pleated skirt and the classic Lagenlook asymmetric hem (and it’s available in lots of gorgeous colour combinations to try).
- To really nail the Lagenlook style, add another layer with a petticoat underneath your dress! Our Windsor Petticoats pair perfectly under dresses and tunics to create a fun, statement look you can dress up or down.
- To finish off your Lagenlook outfit, you’ll need some statement accessories! Lagenlook is all about not being afraid to show your individual style, so your accessories should be bold, bright and, most of all, you. Whatever the weather, a scarf adds the perfect finishing touches to a Lagenlook outfit. Whether it’s a thick, cosy scarf when it’s cold or a light scarf in warmer seasons, scarves are a great way to add an extra pop of colour or pattern to your finished look.
- As well as scarves, you could also add some sparkle to your Lagenlook clothing with some items of jewellery – from statements necklaces to bracelets, we’ve got a wide collection for you to explore that are ideal for layering and add a beautiful final finish to your Laganlook style.
At Kit and Kaboodal, we love the relaxed, creative Lagenlook style and our current clothing collection is packed full of pieces that look gorgeous when paired together. Let your imagination run wild and start creating your own Lagenlook. For more inspiration on how to wear Lagenlook, here are some of our favourite Lagenlook inspired looks from the Kit and Kaboodal team.
Kit and Kaboodal